The coronavirus pandemic has affected all our lives. The world is still fighting against COVID-19 and countries are trying hard to develop a vaccine at the earliest.
To stay safe and protected against deadly coronavirus, many countries have imposed nationwide lockdown. It means coming out from your respective houses except for buying necessities is strictly prohibited. If found guilty, you can even get penalized. This step actually proved beneficial for many nations.
With nationwide lockdown, people were forced to stay indoors. It directly affected their daily schedules, having an impact on their health. And to stand firm against coronavirus, it is essential to look after your immunity and overall health & fitness.
However, staying fit is not that difficult. All you need is to come out of your sedentary lifestyle. Doctors say that living a sedentary life has a negative impact not only on your physical health but also on mental health. Staying active is directly proportional to staying fit.
Including and maintaining a daily exercise regime in your schedule has some fantastic yet visible results. You will witness:
- Healthy weight loss
- Glowing skin
- Improved blood pressure
- Maintained cholesterol level in the body
- Significantly lesser risk of cardiac arrest or any other cardiovascular diseases
- Lesser chances of type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Healthy bowel movements
- Increase in energy level
- Increase in “feel good” hormone (endorphin) in the body
- Reduction in hormonal imbalances
Staying active will ultimately work toward building a more robust immune system for yourself. It’s no wonder that more and more people have started purchasing CBD products to reduce anxiety, tackle insomnia, and increase their stamina. Research suggests that CBD oil helps to reduce anxiety and also helps in combating insomnia which boosts immunity. Improved immunity means improved metabolism and blood flow. Resistance is also related to an increase in white blood cells, which are naturally present in the human body to fight against bacteria and viruses. Apart from promoting better physical health, staying active elevates your mental health as well.
However, staying physically active is entirely different from staying mentally healthy. To stay mentally fit and healthy, one should practice pranayama (breathing techniques) and meditation for a minimum of 30 minutes a day.
In addition to these general practices, many other things need to be taken care of boiling down to staying healthy and fit in lockdown. Let us have a brief about each one of them below.
Stay Physically Active
Any movement directed by the skeletal muscles that utilize energy reserve is called physical activity. It is further bifurcated into two categories. The first one is aerobic fitness, which involves massive body movements and uses a significant portion of the energy reserve of the body. Secondly, strengthening and balancing, which is usually overlooked. But, the benefits of practicing strength and balancing activities are vast on the human body. Physical activities or workout include
- Cleaning house
Talking about the benefits of physical activity, the list is big.
- Drastically reduces the scope of diabetes, cardiovascular ailments, stroke, and high blood pressure.
- It also helps in managing weight.
- It even reduces the risk of cancers.
- It facilitates bone and muscle health.
- It aids in improving immunity.
- It delays the risk of cognitive decline.
- It improves body posture.
Stick To A Workout Routine
Following a daily workout routine has tremendous health benefits. However, being able to follow it could be a bit difficult. Many factors hamper the process of developing a workout regime religiously. Adverse impacts from personal and professional life can primarily work as a barrier. But, you need to stick to your will. Below mentioned are some tips you can take help of while struggling with following a regime.
- Simply focus on that first thought that strikes your mind, and you decide to start working out.
- Be patient and gentle on your own self.
- Ditch the negative bubbles of skipping and procrastinating, popping up your mind.
- Just think about the final and better picture. Imagine the body you always wanted. And keeping working for it without having a single second thought.
- Don’t make false promises to yourself that you’ll never skip it. Just accept the obvious. Don’t be too harsh on yourself.
- Never let any mental block come your way.
- Don’t expect too much from yourself in the beginning. Take baby steps. Give yourself time to adjust to the better obvious.
- Cherish even the smallest achievements.
Maintain A Healthy And A Balanced Diet
The importance of following and maintaining a balanced diet is not a secret well-kept. Everybody knows how important it is to take a completely balanced diet to complete the daily value of nutrients required. It will also help you add all the necessary energy to keep you active throughout the day. It also maintains the nutrients (vitamins and minerals) your body needs for internal repair and growth. However, many people complain about the deficiencies of critical nutrients like Vitamin A, B12, K, E, Potassium, Zinc, Selenium, and Iron. In such cases, individuals might need to take additional supplements along with maintaining a healthy balanced diet.
Following a balanced diet will help you in maintaining a healthy weight. It works even better when combined with a daily workout regime. It also reduces or even nullifies the risk of multiplication of cancer cells. A balanced diet also facilitates the management of blood glucose levels. Consumption of nuts, dry-fruits, green leafy vegetables, and sunflower seeds can help you stay away from cardiovascular diseases. A diet that is adequately packed by calcium and magnesium helps in maintaining healthy bones and teeth. It delays or prevents the chances of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. It improves memory and promotes a healthy mind. Insomnia will stay away from you if you eat a balanced diet every day.
A human body consists of 70% water. Boiling down to the importance of water helps improve blood flow in the body, improving metabolism, regulating healthy bowel movements, etc. every cell of your body requires water to function correctly. It helps in removing harmful toxins from your body and promoting the overall health of the body.
An average human should drink at least 6 to 8 ounces of water daily. However, the actual need for water depends on person to person. For some, even 6 ounces of water is enough, while even 8+ ounces of water is not sufficient. The need for water for your body depends on your daily routine. For instance, people with a sedentary lifestyle might not require much water to stay hydrated. On the other hand, athletes need a lot of it because they really work out hard and sweat a lot.
There are some signs you should look for in your bodies to identify dehydration.
- Little or almost no urine
- Dry mouth
- Extreme fatigue without doing anything
- Increased and frequent episodes of thirsts.
Get Daily Dose of Fresh Air
With nationwide imposed lockdown, people are forced to stay indoors. Which directly interferes with their daily dose of fresh air. However, you can still manage the intake of fresh air even by staying at home. You might like to climb on to the terrace or balconies of your house early in the morning. In case if you have a terrace garden or a lawn at your place, you can spend a healthy amount of time there. Considering a walk, barefoot on the grass has multiple health benefits. Let us have a look at the benefits of consuming fresh air on your health.
- Inhaling fresh air can improve the functioning of your digestive system.
- It maintains a healthy blood pressure level in your body and also facilitates a healthy heart rate.
- Inhaling fresh air early in the morning will help you stay happy throughout the day.
- It also affects your immune system positively.
- Breathing fresh air improves the movement of oxygen in your body, improving the health of your lungs.
- It also increases productivity.
Practice Yoga And Meditation
In simple words, yoga is a traditional way of practicing various physical activities. It helps in improving and promoting the flexibility of the body. Pranayama is one of the types of yoga, which has been around since ancient times. It involves varied breathing patterns and techniques. It undoubtedly facilitates respiratory health. Daily practicing yoga aids you in maintaining a proper steady posture.
However, meditation has a direct impact on your mental health. Staying fit is also crucial as staying mentally healthy and fit in lockdown. Combining yoga and meditation together, it can prove magical for your health. The list of the benefits of practicing yoga and meditation is enormous.
- It helps in combating migraines.
- Improves your sleep quality.
- Helps you in staying calm and composed.
- Boosts your imaginations.
- Provokes world-changing ideas.
- It also helps in improved digestion.
- Aids in curing stubborn back pains.
Staying healthy is as important as staying fit and healthy during the lockdown. Following the safety guidelines issued by the World Health Organization (WHO) and different nations should be followed religiously. However, doing your part of staying fit is more important than just staying indoors in lockdown.
Nobody is different or alone in this. Each one of us is together. It is time to stay socially distanced instead of staying mentally or emotionally distanced from each other.
Stay In, Stay Fit. Happy Quarantine!