This portion of the Animal Crossing: New Horizons guide explains how to get more custom designs in ACNH, including how to use the new search features included in the 1.4.0 Update.
Once you unlock the Able Sisters shop interact with the Kiosk in the back. From here, you can search for designs via Creator ID, Design ID, and (as of update 1.4.0) Criteria Search, and Favorites Search.
- Creator ID: will show you everything a creator has shared.
- Design ID: will pull up a specific design a creator has shared.
- Criteria Search: lets you input a design name and design type.
- Favorites Search: lets you jump to your favorite creators’ designs. To favorite a designer, search and select on of their designs and then select X to Favorite!
You can download any and all designs but you only have a set number of slots. If you’re looking for an easier way to find cool designs be sure to check out our pages highlighting some of the best:
Talk to Sable A Lot
Keep talking to Sable until she becomes friendly and gives you patterns she made herself! You won’t seem these as Custom Design slots but when you go to customize furniture you’ll have more game provided options, like a cute pizza pattern!
Make Your Own Designs
Making your own designs is straight forward. Just open the Custom Designs app and select a blank square (or a pattern you made earlier that you want to edit). Then, simply edit it! Color in the square to make your design a reality.
Keep in mind you can unlock Pro Designs (allowing you to make specific kinds of clothes) by buying it at the Nook Shop.
Scan and Download QR Codes
You can use the real-world Nintendo Switch Online App to import old custom designs from Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, and anywhere you can find on the web! Including sites like acpatterns.com which can convert any image into a downloadable QR code. You’ll need the Nintendo App (NookLink) to do this!
To get designs from New Leaf, Happy Home Designer, or anywhere on the internet you will have to use a real world app and an in-game app. Below are the steps!
2. Scan and download/save them via NookLink. This one was shared on Twitter by @luulubuu.
3. In Animal Crossing: New Horizons open the Custom Designs app and press the (+) to actually download the design. You can select and override an existing or empty slot! The choice is yours.
4. Once it’s downloaded you can Wear it (Top, Face Paint), Display it (Mannequin, Painting, Canvas, Hanger, Tile Mat), or Spread in Room (Wall, Floor).