- Apple has announced that Apple Maps for iPhone will now include warnings about speed cameras and traffic cams as part of the iOS 14 update.
- Cameras will automatically appear on the Maps app’s navigation screen, alerting drivers to speed and red‑light cameras as well as potential slowdowns.
- Apple Maps’ speed camera tool is automatically enabled but, at present, only available to some drivers in the United States, United Kingdom, and Ireland.
- If you don’t want to wait for the Apple Maps feature, Google Maps and Waze already have tools for viewing traffic and speed cameras.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Despite being the default iPhone navigation app, Apple’s Maps has long been the underdog to its competitors. But with the iOS 14 update, Apple has introduced a new feature that may make its Maps app a little more appealing.
Apple has announced that the iPhone iOS 14 update will come with a tool to warn drivers about upcoming speed and red-light cameras.
How to use your iPhone Maps app’s speed and red-light camera feature
While a welcome addition to Apple Maps, the feature doesn’t appear to be available to everyone at the time of publishing.
A handful of US and international users, such as those in the UK, have shared their beta experiences with the feature on Reddit. Those able to test the new tool confirmed what Apple shared on its official Maps site. Red-light cameras are signified by traffic light icons, while speed cameras are illustrated as camera-like icons inside yellow squares. Several reports have also indicated that Siri warns Maps users about upcoming speed cameras.
The official Apple site states that the new feature should be automatically enabled and will grant you the ability to see where a camera is located directly on the map. This lets “you know when you’re approaching speed cameras and red‑light cameras” and allows drivers to “anticipate potential slowing traffic ahead.”
Apple has added the feature to the list of iOS 14 updates on the Maps app store page but has no support articles on the Apple website to help users troubleshoot. And according to Apple’s website, the new camera feature is only currently only accessible to drivers in the United States, United Kingdom, and Ireland.
How to check for red-light or speed cameras without the iPhone Maps app
There are other navigation apps with camera notifications for iPhone users with speed and red-light cameras in their area who may still be waiting for the new Maps tool.
Depending upon where you live, you may see traffic and speed cameras indicated on the map while navigating in Google Maps and Waze. You don’t need to do anything to enable this feature; if it’s supported in your locale, you will automatically see the cameras marked on the map.