Credit: Ryan-Thomas Shaw / Android Authority
Setting your screen timeout is an easy way to tame unnecessary battery usage on your Android phone. Set it too low, though, and you’ll be switching on your screen more often than you’ll need. It’s a tough choice determining how long your smartphone screen should stay lit before it switches off.
In this poll, we wanted to know what Android Authority readers decided on for their screen timeout period. Here’s what you told us.
How long is your screen timeout set for?
We gave readers seven common options ranging from 15 seconds to more than 10 minutes, and just short of 2,900 votes were tallied across the board. Interestingly, there’s no one clear winner.
The option that received the lion’s share of support garnered just 130 more votes than its closest competitor. A screen timeout of 30 seconds is favored by 26.6% of the voters. A minute interval is the preferred choice of 24.2% of readers, too.
Readers’ votes also skewed towards shorter timeouts, with 15 seconds the favored choice of 10.4% of the voters. Overall though, more than 67% of readers opt for a screen timeout between 30 seconds and two minutes. This compared to just 6.4% of readers setting their screen timeout to more than 10 minutes.
Here’s what you had to say
- HelloThere: One minute. Enough time so it doesn’t turn off while I’m reading, but enough so then it turns off when I accidentally leave it on.
- Kristopher Hawkins: Got mine set at 30 seconds, but sometimes it’s got to be changed. Ever tried following a recipe off a phone that turns off after 30 seconds? It’s not fun!
- jackson ombati: I think any phone screen timeout setting above 30 seconds is a potential security risk.
- Major Sceptic: I have my phones set on one minute screen time out 99% of the time, but have the time to
auto lock set at 10 minutes as I’m a home body.
- 2Star Hoodlum: One of the first things I do is set it to never. Why would you leave it on? Tap the power button or double tap the screen to sleep or wake when needed.
- Fredrik Seglem: “Keep screen on while viewing” or smart stay has been a feature for years. So 15 sec for me.
- Bojan Tomic: I keep it at 30 seconds, but sometimes that’s a bit too short, while 1 minute is too long. I wish there was a 45 seconds option.
That’s it for this poll. Thanks for your votes and comments. If you have any further comments about your screen timeout setting or the results of this poll, be sure to drop them down below.