!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
ASEAN, China, other partners set world’s biggest trade pact
- China and 14 other countries have agreed to set up the world’s largest trading bloc, encompassing nearly a third of all economic activity, in a deal many in Asia are hoping will help hasten recovery from the shocks of the pandemic.
- “After eight years of negotiating with blood, sweat and tears, we have finally come to the moment where we will seal the RCEP Agreement,“ Malaysia’s trade minister, Mohamed Azmin Ali, said in a statement. The deal sends a signal that RCEP countries have chosen “to open our markets instead of resorting to protectionist measures during this difficult time,“ he said.
- The accord will take already low tariffs on trade between member countries still lower, over time, and is less comprehensive than an 11-nation trans-Pacific trade deal that President Donald Trump pulled out of shortly after taking office.
Elon Musk says ‘most likely’ has a moderate case of COVID-19
- Tesla Inc Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said on Saturday he “most likely” has a moderate case of COVID-19, as he continued to question the accuracy of the tests.
- “Am getting wildly different results from different labs, but most likely I have a moderate case of covid. My symptoms are that of a minor cold, which is no surprise, since a coronavirus is a type of cold,” Musk wrote in a tweet.
Canada’s Covid-19 cases surpass 2.90 lakh
Air quality dips to ‘severe’ in Delhi post Diwali
- The air quality dipped to “severe” at several places across the national capital on Saturday night owing to a combination of stubble burning and firecrackers burst during the Diwali celebrations in violation of a ban on the same.
- The Air Quality Index (AQI) for PM 2.5 pollutant stood at 481 in Anand Vihar, 444 in IGI Airport area, 457 in ITO, and 414 in Lodhi Road area, all four in the ‘severe’ category, at 11 pm on Saturday, according to the Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) data. A thick blanket of smog was seen at several places across the national capital as the Diwali celebrations came to an end late Saturday night. Meanwhile, the air quality was at 460 at Anand Vihar, 382 at IGI Airport area, 415 at ITO, and 322 at Lodhi Road for PM 10 pollutant.
- This comes as many burst firecrackers in violation of the complete ban on the sale and bursting of firecrackers in the national capital by the Delhi government and the National Green Tribunal.
Pakistan has decided to seek USD 2.7 billion loan from China for the construction of package-I of the Mainline-1 project of China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
Trump supporters rally in Washington, echoing spurious claims of election fraud
- Tens of thousands of President Donald Trump’s supporters marched through downtown Washington on Saturday, echoing his unsubstantiated claims of election fraud and cheering as his motorcade drove past.
- A week after Democrat Joe Biden clinched the election, Trump, a Republican, has refused to accept the outcome and has launched a flurry of dubious legal challenges to overturn the results. Election officials around the country have said they saw no evidence of serious irregularities.
- Carrying flags and chanting “stop the steal,” the protesters walked from Freedom Plaza near the White House to the U.S. Supreme Court building on Capitol Hill as part of the “Million MAGA March,” referring to Trump’s campaign mantra of “Make American Great Again.”
Following COVID-19 protocols will determine ‘what we get to do at Christmas’ in Canada, says Trudeau
In Pakistan, members of the Hindu community celebrate Diwali
Pakistan: Members of the Hindu community celebrated #Diwali at Karachi's Swami Narayan Temple which was illuminated… https://t.co/hwOjRVdfuh
— ANI (@ANI) 1605394618000