!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
PM Modi, Joe Biden had ‘very warm conversation’, exchanged views on healthcare, Indo-Pacific
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President-elect Joe Biden had a “very warm conversation” during which they exchanged views on the Indo-Pacific region and the role of healthcare, pharmaceuticals and particularly vaccines, said Ambassador Taranjit Singh Sandhu on Tuesday.
- Speaking to ANI, Sandhu said PM Modi congratulated Biden on his election and the president-elect extended warm Diwali greeting to the Indian leader and people of India.
Pfizer ‘very close’ to applying for US emergency approval
- Pfizer is “very close” to applying for an emergency use approval for its Covid-19 vaccine after collecting safety data to submit to US regulators, the company’s CEO said Tuesday, according to a report.
- The pharmaceutical giant announced last week preliminary results from a late-stage clinical trial showing the injections it had co-developed with Germany’s BioNTech was more than 90 percent effective after the second dose.
- “We are very close to submitting for an emergency use authorization,” Albert Bourla told medical news site Stat. “We will announce it as soon as we are doing it.”
Amazon opens online pharmacy, shaking up another industry
- The retail colossus opened an online pharmacy Tuesday that allows customers to order medication or prescription refills, and have them delivered to their front door in a couple of days.
- The potential impact of Amazon’s arrival in the pharmaceutical space rippled through that sector immediately. The stocks of CVS Health Corp., Walgreens and Rite Aid all tumbled Tuesday.
India, US, Japan, Australia resume naval exercises
- The navies of India, the United States, Australia and Japan held exercises Tuesday in the Northern Arabian Sea in the second phase of a naval drill seen as part of a regional initiative to counter China’s growing assertiveness in the Indo-Pacific.
- The Malabar naval exercise “highlights enhanced convergence of views amongst the four vibrant democracies on maritime issues,” India’s Defense Ministry said.
- This is the second time that the four countries _ an informal grouping known as the Quad _ have participated in a combined military exercise of this size. The first phase of the Malabar drill took place Nov. 3-6 in the Bay of Bengal.
Mainland China reports 8 new cases
- The National Health Commission said in a statement that one of the new cases was a local infection reported in the city of Tianjin, which shares a border with capital Beijing.
- The number of new asymptomatic cases, which China does not classify as confirmed infections, fell to five from 12 a day earlier.
- The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in mainland China now stands at 86,369, while the death toll remained unchanged at 4,634.
Trump fires security official who rejected fraud claims
- Donald Trump announced Tuesday he had fired the government’s top election security official, who had rejected the president’s claims of “massive” fraud in the vote he lost to Joe Biden.
- “The recent statement by Chris Krebs on the security of the 2020 Election was highly inaccurate, in that there were massive improprieties and fraud,” wrote in a tweet.
- “Therefore, effective immediately, Chris Krebs has been terminated as Director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.”