!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati urges members and workers of her party to celebrate her birthday on 15th January as ‘Jankalyankari Diwas’, by helping the poor, needy and victims of COVID-19, while following all COVID norms.
Jallikattu begins in Avaniyapuram of Madurai
Tamil Nadu: Jallikattu begins in Avaniyapuram of Madurai. In the wake of #COVID19, state govt directed that number… https://t.co/kObsXmVEQH
— ANI (@ANI) 1610592412000
Let me congratulate India on very effective governance in the field of vaccination & how generally India has been tackling COVID-19 crisis. With its pharmaceutical production capacity, the entire world is seeking opportunities here in India: Katrin Kivi, Estonian Envoy to India
WHO asks Serum Institute of India for Covishield trial data to begin global supply
The World Health Organisation has asked Serum Institute of India to submit its data from clinical trials of the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine conducted in India for prequalification, to kick off the distribution of vaccines under the Covax Facility.
Facing new outbreaks, China places over 22 million on lockdown
- When a handful of new coronavirus cases materialized this month in a province surrounding Beijing – apparently spread at a village wedding party – Chinese authorities bolted into action.
- They locked down two cities with more than 17 million people, Shijiazhuang and Xingtai. They ordered a crash testing regime of nearly every resident there, which was completed in a matter of days.
India wants Pfizer to do local study for approval: Official
- Any vaccine maker, including Pfizer, which has sought emergency-use authorisation for its Covid-19 shot in India, must conduct a local “bridging” safety and immunogenicity study to be considered for the country’s immunisation programme, a senior government official told Reuters.
- Serum Institute of India, the local manufacturer of the vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University, has done a similar study on more than 1,500 people over months before seeking and receiving emergency approval in the country.
For the first phase of vaccination, we have received vaccines for 9000 health workers. On January 16, the vaccination programme will be launched in five locations: Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC) commissioner Prem Chandra Choudhary
A consignment of Covishield vaccine arrived in Siliguri late last night
West Bengal: A consignment of Covishield vaccine arrived in Siliguri late last night (January 13). The COVID-19 v… https://t.co/ckg7Cdsmc9
— ANI (@ANI) 1610570468000
Odisha to vaccinate more than 1.90 lakhs health care workers in Phase 1
For vaccination, we have received both Covishield & Covaxin vaccines. More than 1.90 lakhs health care workers will… https://t.co/GNuEjoqn2y
— ANI (@ANI) 1610576520000
Mizoram reported 7 new COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, as per state government
- Total cases: 4,310
- Active cases: 101
- Discharges: 4,200
- Deaths: 9
Manipur CM N. Biren Singh received the consignment of Covishield
Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh received the consignment of COVID19 vaccine 'Covishield' at Bir Tikendrajit I… https://t.co/ocSjMsESrU
— ANI (@ANI) 1610581638000
Delhi reported 357 new COVID-19 cases, 534 recoveries and 11 deaths on Jan 13
Delhi reported 357 new #COVID19 cases, 534 recoveries and 11 deaths on January 13. Total cases: 6,31,249 Total re… https://t.co/uAvuThSEaK
— ANI (@ANI) 1610586882000
US sets another record with over 4,300 Covid-19 deaths
- Covid-19 deaths in the US climbed to another record high on Tuesday, as 4,327 people succumbed to the virus, The Hill reported citing Johns Hopkins University.
- A New York Times tracker shows that deaths from Covid-19 are increasing at an alarming rate in the US.
- The seven-day average for daily deaths rose from about 2,600 per day to about 3,300 per day in the past week.
Arvind Kejriwal promises free COVID-19 vaccine if Centre fails to do so
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal on Wednesday announced that the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Government will provide coronavirus vaccine free to the people of Delhi if the Centre fails to do so.
- Kejriwal said that he has already appealed to the Centre for ensuring free vaccination in the country as “there are many people who may not afford the life-saving shot”.
China’s Sinovac vaccine shows 50.38% efficacy in Brazil, less than claimed earlier
- The Chinese Sinovac vaccine has been found to be far less effective than vaccines developed by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna, according to a Brazil government statement on Tuesday, which raised questions about the lack of transparency of Chinese-made vaccines.
- The efficacy of the Chinese-made vaccine was 50.38% in Brazil’s late-stage trials.
Mexico begins vaccination against Covid-19 at 879 hospitals
- Some 879 hospitals in Mexico on Wednesday simultaneously began vaccination against the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), giving priority to healthcare workers.
- The immunization campaign follows the delivery on Tuesday of 439,725 doses of the vaccine developed by US pharmaceutical firm Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech.
- Local media reported healthcare workers lined up in an orderly manner to receive the first of the two doses required, at hospitals designated for the treatment of COVID-19 cases.
About 3 lakh healthcare workers to get vaccine shots on 1st day of COVID-19 inoculation drive
- Around 3 lakh healthcare workers will be inoculated at 2,934 sites across the country on the first day of the massive nationwide COVID-19 vaccination drive which is set to begin from January 16.
- Each vaccination session will cater to a maximum of 100 beneficiaries and the Union Health Ministry has advised states not to organise “unreasonable numbers of vaccination per site per day”.
Arvind Kejriwal to hold review meeting today on Covid-19 vaccination roll-out
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal will hold a review meeting on Thursday with officials from the health department, heads of hospitals and all-district officials to review preparations under the Delhi government’s COVID vaccination rollout plan.
- This comes ahead of the nationwide Covid-19 vaccination drive which is scheduled to begin on January 16. The Chief Minister will review the rollout plan of the coronavirus vaccination program at 11 am today.
India’s COVID-19 tally reaches 1,04,95,147, active cases at 2,14,507
West Bengal’s COVID-19 toll climbs to 9,993, tally at 5,62,795
Rajasthan: 373 fresh COVID-19 cases, 3 more deaths; infection tally at 3,14,091
- Rajasthan recorded three more fatalities due to novel coronavirus on Wednesday, taking the COVID-19 death toll in the state to 2,742, a health department bulletin said.
- The state also reported 373 fresh cases on Wednesday. The total number of people infected by COVID-19 now stands at 3,14,091, out of whom, 5,780 are under treatment, it said.
Assam reports 53 fresh COVID cases, one more death
Assam’s COVID-19 death toll increased to 1,065 with one more person succumbing to the disease on Wednesday, while 53 new positive cases took the tally to 2,16,743, a bulletin issued by the National Health Mission said.