The pallet is a structure used for transporting heavy goods from one place to another. In this process, the goods or the containers are placed on the pallets and transported to the destination. This method is considered as cost-effective as pallet collection can be used easily in handling the goods and transporting them. There are many types of pallet collections available and in this article, we will talk about their advantages.
Previously, only wood was used to develop pallets. Wooden pallets are popular pallet collection today also because of various features and advantages, which are as follows.
- Wooden pallets are very strong and can hold a great eight goods.
- Goods do not slip as wood is slip-resistant.
- The cost of wooden pallets is very low.
- It is reusable and people can also repair it if needed.
- The wooden pallets have a long life.
Wooden pallets have the capability to be used many times but it wears and tears due to continuous use. Users are not confirmed about how many times the pallet collection can be used. Wooden pallets are heavy in comparison to the pallets made from other materials. This increases the cost of shipping. It can also cause back injury to the staff. Wooden pallets may also be attacked by pests and parasites, which is a great disadvantage.
The plastic pallet comes with many advantages and disadvantages. This pallet collection is durable and is reusable. The advantages and disadvantages of this pallet are as follows.
- These pallets can be used many times and the number of usages is more than that of wooden pallets.
- The structure of these pallets is always strong so it is more durable and has a long life.
- These pallets are light in weight, which helps in reducing expenses.
- Staff working with plastic pallets is less injured in comparison to the wooden pallets. Stacking is secure as the plastic pallets can be interlocked.
- No additional treatment is required for these pallets so maintenance cost is also less.
- The plastic pallets have many disadvantages and one of them is its cost. The pallets are very expensive.
- They are very strong but cannot be repaired once damaged. In such a case, new pallets are required, which is another expense.
- The surface of the plastic pallets is very slippery so the containers and goods can slip from the pallet. This can also result in injury to the staff.
- The pallets can catch fire easily so they should be treated with fire-resistant materials.
Cardboard pallets are very new in this field and there are many types of cardboard pallets, which can be used for the transportation of goods. These can have a honeycomb or corrugated structure. There are many advantages and disadvantages to the usage of this pallet collection, which are as follows.
- The pallets are light in weight, which is ¼ of the weight of wooden pallets.
- Lightweight helps in the reduction of shipping costs.
- After usage, these pallets can be easily destroyed.
- Recycling of these pallets can also be done easily.
- The pallets are strong enough that they can be used for international shipping purposes.
- The pallets are not durable and this is the biggest disadvantage. The corrugate pallets are damaged easily. It means that these pallets can be used only once.
- Porousness is also there in cardboard pallets.
- Cleaning and sanitization of these pallets cannot be done.
Various companies customize the pallets as per your needs and to meet specific dimension and weight requirements. Good export pallets are weather and water-resistant. These should also not spoil, rot or split and should be free of any insect infestations. These should also be manufactured in an environmentally friendly manner. Although for a long time, the export market leveraged the use of wooden pallets, now the plastic pallets are generally used in accordance with international shipment standards.
Choosing the most appropriate export pallet depends on various criteria. Some of these are the nature of your industry and goods, stability or stackability, compatibility with handling systems, reduced weight, durability, pallet height and footprint, product safety and protection, and ease of recycling or environmental impact.
These are some of the pallets, which are used for transporting the goods. Plastic pallets are durable while wooden and cardboard pallets can be recycled. There are many other pros and cons of these pallet collections so people should buy the one, which is suitable as per the requirement.