Well, gingerbread pancakes are the softest and fluffiest pancakes ever that basically taste just like gingerbread cookies as well. These deliciously healthy pancakes are like a treat for breakfast as they are perfectly spiced and flavorful and on once can resist as well.
I clearly remember that one morning, my brother and I arrived at the kitchen, starving, and noticed that my beloved grandmother was making these tasty gingerbread pancakes. Even today, the smell of it cooking always takes me back to that morning.
However, you will find all of the classic flavors of gingerbread cookies in these warmly spiced super delicious pancakes.
Moreover, while making the gingerbread pancakes – molasses are a necessary ingredient as it determines the intensity of the gingerbread flavor as well. Lighter molasses imparts less flavor but if you use blackstrap – then it can be pretty intense. And the lemon zest and fresh ginger (finely grated) spice flavors and brighten the deep molasses.
How To Make Gingerbread Pancakes
These deliciously healthy gingerbread pancakes are super easy to make and you will find all of the classic flavors of gingerbread cookies in this recipe. Just prepare the batter using the ingredients, preheat a pancake griddle, and start your cooking – as simple as that. And when you finish – server immediately to enjoy the best out it, or keep warm in an oven (I personally use Breville bov450xl) over 200 degrees Fahrenheit for later.
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp coconut oil or butter – melted
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
3 tbsp unsulphured molasses – it determines the intensity of the gingerbread flavor.
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar or coconut sugar
1 large egg
1 cup milk of choice
- Now, preheat your electric griddle over 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk together the ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, flour, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- In another small bowl – add the maple syrup, vanilla extract, egg, butter, milk and mix them all together until combined totally. (if the coconut oil solidifies at this point – then use a microwave oven to melt is again for 15 to 30 seconds. Or keep the mixture in a warm place – it works as well.) Now pour the wet ingredients mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined completely.
- Well, if you don’t have an electric griddle – you can use a non-steak pan or a stovetop griddle. Heat the pan over medium-low heat to prepare it for cooking. You may need to oil the surface of the griddle with additional oil, butter or non-stick cooking spray (but if you are using a non-stick griddle like me – then you don’t need to use any oil).
- Once the surface of the pan is hot enough – use a measuring cup and pour 1/3 cup batter into the hot pan. Now cook the pancakes for 3 minutes or until you see bubbles at the edges of the pancakes. Keep some space among the pancakes so that they can expand so easily. Now flip the pancakes and cook for another 90 seconds or until they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Now repeat the process with the rest of the batter. Add oil and adjust the heat temperature at this point if you desire.
- Now serve the wonderful deliciously healthy pancakes immediately to taste the best out of it. Or, you can keep the pancakes in an oven over 200 degrees Fahrenheit as well.
- Make Dairy-Free Pancakes: You just simply omit the butter and instead of that – use coconut oil. Also, you can use any non-dairy milk that you like as well.
- Make It Gluten-Free: The all-purpose gluten-free flour is a great option to go, I think. And if you tried it – then please share it with me.
- Make Egg-Free Pancakes: It’s pretty simple I think – you just omit the egg from the ingredients list and enjoy your deliciously healthy pancakes.
- Make It Vegan: You just skip the egg, use coconut oil instead of butter, and go for your favorite non-dairy milk.
- (Optional) Orange Cream Cheese Topping: This gingerbread pancake recipe was actually published along with the orange cream cheese on top. Use ½ tsp orange zest with 3 oz of softened cream cheese and a tiny splash of orange juice to make the super delicious cream cheese.
I hope you liked the best-ever whole wheat gingerbread pancakes recipe and now you have the idea of how to make these pancakes super deliciously healthy. And if you prepared the gingerbread pancakes – then please share it with me that how it turned out!
And if you have any problem, suggestions, or opinions – then please let me know and it would be an honor for me to help wonderful people like you guys!