These days, so many commercial rug cleaning products are pricey though there are a plethora of these products on the market. You might want to try something less expensive yet effective. Based on this, we want to show you how you can prepare your own eco-friendly detergents for rug and carpet cleaning using very affordable household products. Would you be willing to learn more about improving your home cleaning routine? You can contact our carpet cleaning company in London for more tips and methods.
Let’s take a look at 4 great recipes for home-made rug cleaners.
- Steam cleaning solution
Your rug may be housing some microbes deep inside. Fungi and bacteria hiding between your rug’s fibres and threads can be eliminated using a steam cleaner. Do you know what is more interesting about steam cleaning? There is no need for harmful chemicals. Why? The steam’s temperature, which is usually high kills all microbes.
How to prepare steam cleaner
You need the following ingredients:
- 1tbsp dishwashing liquid
- 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 5 to 6 drops of your best essential oil (if you want)
- Get a plastic bowl, pour all the ingredients into it and stir thoroughly until the mixture becomes smooth and well mixed. You may or may not add essential oil to the mix, but it gives your cleaner a pleasant smell.
- Pour the mix into your steam cleaner container and fill with water to the brim.
- Shake the entire mixture well, so it dilutes completely in the water.
- Switch on the steam and cover your rug surface with it. When you’re done, throw away the liquid from the container, rinse it, and refill with clean water. Run it over your rug again to clean up any residues of the solution.
- Rug freshner With this fantastic and easy to prepare formula, say goodbye to all the unpleasant smell coming from your rug. What this freshener does is to remove any smell from cooking and cigarettes, and pet odours. Since this freshener is not harsh to rug fibres, you can use it regularly.
How to prepare rug freshener
The following ingredients are needed to make this formula:
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup borax
- 7 to 8 drops essential oil (if you want)
- Mix the two dry ingredients thoroughly in a bowl.
- Add a few drops of essential oil and stir the mix properly.
- Place this compound directly on every part of your rug.
- Using a soft brush, rub it into the entire rug surface and allow it to stay for 30 minutes. Note that the dry ingredients are important for the recipe to be effective. Borax and baking soda absorb strong unpleasant smell fast without any trace. You may or may not add essential oil, but it gives off a pleasant smell when added.
- With a vacuum cleaner, extract the entire compound from your rug; leaving it fresh, clean and with a great smell.
- Rug colour restorer Why throw away your rug when with this recipe you can restore the shine and glow? Even if after thorough vacuuming your rug has a dull and dark colour, it can shine bright again with this compound.
How to prepare carpet colour restorer
What you need for this recipe are as follows:
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- Tap water
- Open the tank of your steam cleaner, pour the vinegar and fill it completely with water.
- Let the steam run over the rug and allow it to get dry. The colour of your rug will be enhanced by the vinegar solution, and your carpet will come alive again. You may smell the vinegar in the room; it’s typical. However, you can open your window, and in an hour, the smell will disappear.
- Colour-safe rug shampoo This gentle cleaning formula is great if you have a rug that is prone to colour bleeding. Even if you are concerned that cleaning your rug yourself can cause it to bleed colour, this colour-retaining shampoo will be just fine for you.
How to prepare colour-safe shampoo
To get this amazing compound, you will need the following:
- 1 tbsp of distilled white vinegar
- 2 cups of lukewarm water
- 4 tbsp of dishwashing liquid
- 1/2 tsp of ammonia
- Get a food processor
- Put all the ingredients inside the processor and blend until it becomes thick and homogeneous. In case you don’t have a food processor don’t worry, you can make use of an egg whisk. A foam dispenser bottle can even do the job.
- Spread the foam uniformly over the rug with very little or zero pressure.
- Allow the foam sit for 10 minutes
- Remove the foam from the rug with a spatula
- Soak a clean sponge in water, squeeze out the water until it’s almost dry. Use it to remove any excess leftover residue from the compound. Note that after you are done, your rug will be a bit damp, but if you open your window, it will dry very fast
- Vacuum the rug when it is completely dry
With these simple home-made recipes, you can take good care of your rug without spending too much money. However, bear in mind that if your rug is water sensitive, or having old and stubborn stains, home-made formulas may not be ideal. What should you do? You can seek professional help with cleaning your rugs.