Sony and Guerrilla Games presented a Horizon Forbidden West State of Play that featured 14-minutes of gameplay for the much-anticipated PS5 and PS4 exclusive. While no release date was given, we did learn a ton of new details on the sequel to 2017’s Horizon Zero Dawn.
Below, you’ll be able to catch all the Horizon Forbidden West gameplay that was captured on PS5 and learn 17 things about Aloy’s next adventure.
Horizon Forbidden West Release Date, Setting, and More
- Horizon Forbidden West still has no release date on PS5 and PS4, but Guerrilla Games said “development is on track and we’ll have an update for you very soon.”
- This sequel picks up six months after the events of Horizon Zero Dawn, and Aloy has travelled west to investigate a “mysterious and deadly blight.”
- In the State of Play gameplay demo, Aloy has sent her friend and returning character, Erend, into the remains of San Francisco to recover an important artifact. He gets captured the Tenakth tribe — a rebel faction that has somehow learned how to override and control machines — and Aloy has to come to the rescue.
- The artifact Erend discovers appears to show a map with the coming storms, including one that appears to be marked BARO and is approaching Aloy and San Fransisco.
Aloy Has New and Upgraded Tools to Explore Horizon Forbidden West’s World
- Aloy will need all the help she can get in Horizon Forbidden West, and many of her new tools will help her not only survive and traverse the world with ease, but give her new options to take on her foes.
- The Pullcaster is a hookshot-type tool that allows her to speed up climbing and reach far away points to escape danger.
- The Shieldwing is a technologically-advanced glider that will not only let her safely descend from great heights, but will also let her surprise enemies from above.
- The Diving Mask gives Aloy the ability to swim underwater as long as she needs. Underwater gameplay looks to play a much bigger role, and it will offer Aloy tactical advantages when deciding how to approach certain situations.
- Aloy’s Focus ability is also getting an upgrade and will now show areas that are meant for free-climbing. Furthermore, it gives her the ability to override more machines for mounts or combat.
Horizon Forbidden West’s State of Play Featured New Machines, Weapons, Abilities, and More
- Aloy will have a ton of options in combat in Horizon Forbidden West, including her trusty spear that not only excels in close combat and features a new set of combos, but it also can use special abilities known as Valor Surges — one of which that can knock back nearby enemies with a powerful attack.
- Enemies have weak spots that can be destroyed using bows with specialized ammo.
- Aloy can use a slingshot with adhesive grenades that can temporarily stall machines.
- There will be a powerful launcher that fires spikes that explode on impact.
- Smoke bombs can temporarily blind enemies.
- All of these weapons, and many more, can be upgraded at a workbench.
- Aloy can pick up weapons that she shot off from machines, including the elephant-like Tremortusks.
- Speaking of enemies and machines like the Tremortusks, the Horizon Forbidden West State of Play showcased the pterodactyl-like Sunwing, raptor-like Clawstriders, and the alligator-like Snapmaws and Burrowers.
For more on Horizon Forbidden West, check out its reveal trailer, how Sony’s cross-gen exclusives are “built from the ground up” for PS5 and how this new game will take advantage of PS5’s SSD and 3D Audio.
Horizon Forbidden West State of Play Screenshots
Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].